If you're trying to practice your Welsh Reading then the page below should help. You will be able to sharpen your comprehension and understanding of the sample text below, which is part of the Article 26 and 27 from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The first section is in Welsh and the second part is in English. Also don't forget to check the rest of our other lessons listed on Learn Welsh. Enjoy the rest of the lesson!
Read the following text very carefully and see what you can understand without looking at the English translation, and see what you understood from it, you can use our Welsh dictionary if you want.
1) Y mae gan bawb hawl i addysg. Dylai addysg fod yn rhydd, o leiaf addysg elfennol a sylfaenol. Dylai addysg elfennol fod yn orfodol. Dylid gwneud addysg dechnegol a phroffesiynol yn agored i bawb, a dylai fod mynediad llawn a chydradd i bawb i addysg uwchradd ar sail teilyngdod.
2) Dylai addysg amcanu datblygu personoliaeth llawn yr unigolyn a chryfhau parch i hawliau dynol a'r rhyddfreintiau sylfaenol. Dylai hyrwyddo dealltwriaeth, goddefgarwch a chyfeillgarwch ymysg yr holl genhedloedd ac ymysg grwpiau hiliol neu grefyddol, a dylai hefyd hyrwyddo gwaith y Cenhedloedd Unedig dros heddwch.
3) Gan rieni y mae'r hawl cyntaf i ddewis y math o addysg a roddir i'w plant.
1) Y mae gan bawb yr hawl i gymryd rhan ym mywyd diwylliannol eu cymdeithas, i fwynhau'r celfyddydau ac i gyfranogi o gynnydd gwyddonol a’i fuddiannau.
2) Y mae gan bawb yr hawl i fynnu diogelwch i'r buddiannau moesol a materol sy'n deillio o unrhyw gynnyrch gwyddonol, llenyddol neu artistig y maent yn awdur iddo.
Below is the translation of the above text, check what you understood without the help of the dictionary, after reading the translation one time, go back up and read the Welsh text and see if you can recognize the more words this time.
1. Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.
Reading and comprehension are very important in Welsh. Once you're done with Welsh Reading, you might want to check the rest of our Welsh lessons here: Learn Welsh. Don't forget to bookmark this page.