If you're trying to practice your Samoan Reading then the page below should help. You will be able to sharpen your comprehension and understanding of the sample text below, which is part of the Article 26 and 27 from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The first section is in Samoan and the second part is in English. Also don't forget to check the rest of our other lessons listed on Learn Samoan. Enjoy the rest of the lesson!
Read the following text very carefully and see what you can understand without looking at the English translation, and see what you understood from it.
1) O tagata taitoatasi uma e i ai le aia tatau mo aoaoga. E tatau ona aoga e aunoa ma se totogi, aemaise i aoga amata ma aoga tulagalua. E tatau foi ona faamalosia le aoga i aoga tulaga lua ma faasaina le le aoga.
2) E tatau ona maua ai avanoa mo tagata uma i aoga faapitoa, tau matata eseese ma tomai faapitoa ma ia tutusa ona maua ia avanoa i aoaoga maualuluga mo tagata uma i tulaga taualoa.
3)E tatau ona faasinomia aoga i le atiina ae o le tagata atoa aemaise ona uiga faaalia ma faamalosia le faamamaluina o le aia tatau a tagata uma, faapea ma o latou saolotoga faavae. E tatau ona siitia le tulaga o le malamalama, faapalepale ma fealofaniga i le va o atunuu uma , ituaiga o tagata uma po o tapuaiga uma, ma e tatau ona lagolagosua i galuega a Malo Aufaatasi i taumafaiga e tausia ai le filemu o le lalolagi.
1) O tagata taitoatasi uma ua i ai le aia tatau e auai faatasi i soifuaga faale-aganuu o le vaega o tagata, ma fiafia faatasi i faiva eseese ma fefaasoaai i faiga faasaienisi ma ona faamanuiaga.
2) O tagata taitoatasi uma ua i ai lana aia tatau mo le puipuiga o lana lava fatuga i mea faasaienisi, tusigatala po o tusiga ata ma isi mea faapea na fatu e ia lava.
Below is the translation of the above text, check what you understood without the help of the dictionary, after reading the translation one time, go back up and read the Samoan text and see if you can recognize the more words this time.
1. Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.
Reading and comprehension are very important in Samoan. Once you're done with Samoan Reading, you might want to check the rest of our Samoan lessons here: Learn Samoan. Don't forget to bookmark this page.
The links above are only a small sample of our lessons, please open the left side menu to see all links.