If you're trying to practice your Oromo Reading then the page below should help. You will be able to sharpen your comprehension and understanding of the sample text below, which is part of the Article 26 and 27 from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The first section is in Oromo and the second part is in English. Also don't forget to check the rest of our other lessons listed on Learn Oromo. Enjoy the rest of the lesson!
Read the following text very carefully and see what you can understand without looking at the English translation, and see what you understood from it.
1) Namni kamiyyuu mirga barumsa argachuu ni qaba. Barumsi, yoo xinnaate sadarkaa tokkoffaa fi lammataatti, tola ni kennama. Barumsi sadarkaa tokkoffaa dirqii dha. Barumsi tekinikii fii ogummaa kan biraa sadarkaa lammaftaatti kan kenamu yoo ta'u, kunis kan kennamu akka dandeettii abbaatti ta'a.
2) Barumsi kennamu kan namummaa namaa guddisuu fi kan eegumsa mirgootaa fi bilisummaa ilmoo namaa jabeessu ta'uu qaba. Kana malees, uummattoota addunya gidduutti waliigaltee fi michummaa kan jabbeessu, sanyii fi amantii adda-addaa gidduuti waliigaltee kan uumu, akkasumas hojiiwwan Dhaabbata Waldaa Mootummootaa fi nageenya uummataa kan jabeessu ta'uu qaba.
3)Warri ijoollee, akaakuu barumsaa kan fedhan ijoollee isaaniitiif filachuuf mirga ni qabu.
1) Namni kamiyyuu jireenya aadaa biyyaa keessatti dhorkaa malee qooda fudhachuu ni danda'a; faayidaa aartii fi saayinsii irraas bashannana yookiin gammachuu argachuu ni qaba.
2) Namni kamiyyuu waan ogummaa saayinsii, aartii fi barreessuu ofii isaaf hojjeterraa bu'aan argamu hundi akka eegamuuf mirga ni qaba.
Below is the translation of the above text, check what you understood without the help of the dictionary, after reading the translation one time, go back up and read the Oromo text and see if you can recognize the more words this time.
1. Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.
Reading and comprehension are very important in Oromo. Once you're done with Oromo Reading, you might want to check the rest of our Oromo lessons here: Learn Oromo. Don't forget to bookmark this page.