If you're trying to practice your Latvian Reading then the page below should help. You will be able to sharpen your comprehension and understanding of the sample text below, which is part of the Article 26 and 27 from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The first section is in Latvian and the second part is in English. Also don't forget to check the rest of our other lessons listed on Learn Latvian. Enjoy the rest of the lesson!
Read the following text very carefully and see what you can understand without looking at the English translation, and see what you understood from it, you can use our Latvian dictionary if you want.
Ikvienam ir tiesìbas uz izglìtìbu. Izglìtìbai, vismaz pamata un vispârèjai izglìtìbai, ir jâbút bezmaksas. Pamatizglìtìbai ir jâbút obligâtai. Tehniskajai un profesionâlajai izglìtìbai ir jâbút vispâr pieejamai, un augstâkajai izglìtìbai jâbút vienâdi pieejamai visiem atbilstoøi spèjâm.
Izglìtìbas mèræim jâbút pilnìgai personìbas attìstìbai, kâ arì cilvèka tiesìbu un pamatbrìvìbu respektèøanas stiprinâøanai.
Izglìtìbai ir jâsekmè sapraøanâs, iecietìba un draudzìba starp visâm tautâm, rasu vai reliåiskajâm grupâm un jâsekmè Apvienoto Nâciju Organizâcijas miera uzturèøanas pasâkumi.
Ikvienam ir tiesìbas brìvi piedalìties sabiedrìbas kultúras dzìvè, baudìt mâkslu, piedalìties zinâtnes progresâ un izmantot tâ labumus.
Ikvienam ir tiesìbas uz morâlo un materiâlo intereøu aizsardzìbu, kas izriet no zinâtniskajiem, literârajiem vai mâkslas darbiem, kuru autors viðø ir.
Below is the translation of the above text, check what you understood without the help of the dictionary, after reading the translation one time, go back up and read the Latvian text and see if you can recognize the more words this time.
1. Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.
Reading and comprehension are very important in Latvian. Once you're done with Latvian Reading, you might want to check the rest of our Latvian lessons here: Learn Latvian. Don't forget to bookmark this page.
The links above are only a small sample of our lessons, please open the left side menu to see all links.