If you're trying to practice your Zulu Reading then the page below should help. You will be able to sharpen your comprehension and understanding of the sample text below, which is part of the Article 26 and 27 from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The first section is in Zulu and the second part is in English. Also don't forget to check the rest of our other lessons listed on Learn Zulu. Enjoy the rest of the lesson!
Read the following text very carefully and see what you can understand without looking at the English translation, and see what you understood from it.
1) Wonke umuntu unelungelo lemfundo. Imfundo iyotholakala ngesihle, okungenani emabangeni aphansi ayingqalasizinda. Imfundo eyisingeniso iyoba ngeyempoqo. Imfundo yobuchwepheshe neyenzululwazi iyokwenziwa ibe khona ngokwejwayelekile bese kuthi imfundo ephakeme itholakale kubobonke ngobunjalo babo.
2) Imfundo iyoqonda ekuthuthukiseni ubuntu ngokugcwele nasekuqiniseni inhlonipho yamalungelo abantu nengqalasizinda yenkululeko. Iyothuthukisa ukuzwana, ukubekezelelana nobungane phakathi kwezizwe, kwamaqembu ezinhlanga nezenkolo, futhi iyoqhubela phambili imikhankaso yeNhlangano yeZizwe ekugcineni uxolo.
3)Abazali banelungelo lokuqala lokukhetha uhlobo lwemfundo eyonikezwa abantwana babo.
1) Wonke umuntu unelungelo elikhululekile lokuzimbandakanya empilweni yamasiko omphakathi, athokozele amakhono, ahlomule entuthukweni yezesayensi nasezinzuzweni zayo.
2) Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuvikeleka kwezifiso ezisemqoka ezingumphumela womkhiqizo wezobusayensi, wombhalo okukanye wekhono elithize abengumsunguli wako.
Below is the translation of the above text, check what you understood without the help of the dictionary, after reading the translation one time, go back up and read the Zulu text and see if you can recognize the more words this time.
1. Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.
Reading and comprehension are very important in Zulu. Once you're done with the isiZulu Reading, you might want to check the rest of our Zulu lessons here: Learn Zulu. Don't forget to bookmark this page.